Venetian Orange Cake
This is a stunning flourless orange & almond cake with a zesty syrup. It is the perfect accompaniment to any coffee break.
Preparation time: 20 minutes (plus 2 hours boiling the oranges)
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes °
2 large oranges
100g soft dark brown sugar
400g caster sugar
6 medium free-range eggs
250g ground almonds
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 orange, zest & juice
2tbsp double cream
1. Place the 2 oranges into a large pan, fill with water and boil gently for 2 hours. Remove the oranges and allow to cool, reserve the liquid.
2. Add the brown sugar and 200g of the caster sugar to a food processor and crack in the eggs. Blitz until light and fluffy.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas mark 4.
4. Cut the cooled oranges into medium sized pieces, removing any seeds and add to the food processor, blitz until smooth.
5. Now add the ground almonds and baking powder, whizz to combine.
6. Grease and line a 24 cm cake tin with baking parchment. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 1 – 1 ½ hours.
7. Meanwhile make the syrup buy pouring the orange cooking liquid into a large pan. Use water to top up the liquid to 750ml (if there is not enough liquid). Add the remaining 200g of caster sugar, the juice and zest of an orange. Bring to a fierce boil for 10-15 minutes or until thick and syrupy, remember the syrup will thicken more when removed from the heat. Allow to cool and drizzle the orange syrup over the cooled cake.
8. To serve, mix the mascarpone with the double cream and serve on the side. Enjoy!
Cake Server – Sophie Conran Rivelin Cake Server https://www.arthurprice.com/category/for-the-home/sophie-conran-tableware/rivelin-cake-server
· This beautiful cake server was gifted by Arthur Price