The BEST Carrot Cake Recipe
Deliciously simple Carrot Cake suitable for any occasion. Gorgeous!!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 ¼ – 1 ½ hours, plus cooling time
400g plain flour
570g castor sugar
5 medium eggs
5 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
450ml vegetable oil
700g (unpeeled) carrots, peeled and grated
150g walnuts, roughly chopped
200g full fat soft cheese, preferably Philadelphia
150g icing sugar, sifted
100g butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/ 350°F/Gas mark 4. Grease and base line a 26cm (10 ½ inch) diameter and 6.5-7cm (3inch) deep cake tin.
2. Put the plain flour, castor sugar, eggs, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda, salt and vegetable oil in a large bowl and blend with an electric whisk for at least 5 minutes. Then add the carrots and walnuts and mix through.
3. Place the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 1 ¼ – 1 ½ hours or until the skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool and then remove from the tin to cool thoroughly.
4. For the topping place the soft cheese, icing sugar and butter into a bowl and mix until smooth. Spread over the cold cake, then place in the fridge until icing is firm.
5. The BEST Carrot Cake is now ready to slice, serve and EAT, enjoy!!