Spaghetti with Mussels, Tomato Sauce & Pesto
This pasta dish is absolutely delicious, the mussels, tomato sauce and pesto compliment this dish perfectly.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
For the pesto
60g fresh basil leaves
50g pine nuts, toasted
50g parmesan, grated
1 clove of garlic, peeled
75ml extra virgin olive oil
For the mussels & tomato sauce
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 stick of celery, finely chopped
2kg mussels, cleaned, beards removed (discard any mussels that stay open after rinsing)
150ml oz white wine
2 garlic cloves, peeled & finely chopped
800g canned tomatoes
6 fresh basil leaves (plus a few extra for serving)
Salt & pepper freshly ground
400g spaghetti, cooked as per packet instructions
1. For the pesto, blend the basil, pine nuts, parmesan and garlic in a food processor to a puree. Add the olive oil and continue to blend until you have a paste.
2. For the mussels and tomato sauce, heat 1 ½ tbsp of oil in a large frying pan with a lid. Fry the onions and celery until softened, 1-2 minutes. Now add the wine and mussels and cover with the lid, cook for 2-3 minutes until the mussels have opened.
3. Empty the mussels into a colander, reserving the cooking liquid in a bowl. Discard the shells from half of the mussels and set aside.
4. Return the large frying pan to the heat and add 1 ½ tbsp of olive oil. Add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Add the cooking liquid, tinned tomatoes and basil and bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by one third. Season to taste and stir in all the mussels.
5. Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and add the spaghetti and cook as per packet instructions, then drain.
6. Stir in the pasta into the mussels and tomato sauce.
7. To serve, spoon the linguine and mussels onto four plates and top each with a spoonful of pesto and a few basil leaves. Enjoy!