Sausage, Chilli, Lemon & Fennel Pasta
You must try this pasta as it is has a unique flavouring – this is one of my favourite pasta dishes.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
1tbsp olive oil
600g pork Sausages, remove the skins & break into bite sized pieces
2tsp fennel seeds
1tsp crushed chillies
1 tbsp dried oregano
200ml white wine
Zest & juice of a lemon
500g of good quality pasta
Sea salt and Pepper freshly ground
A couple of knobs of butter
1tbsp Parmesan, grated plus extra to serve
A small bunch of fresh fat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1. Heat a large frying pan, add the olive oil. Now add the sausage meat to the pan and really break it up in the pan. Fry for a few minutes until the meat starts to colour, crush until it resembles mince.
2. Add the fennel seeds and chillies and cook on a medium heat until the meat is crisp, golden and slightly caramelised.
3. Add the oregano then pour in the white wine; reduce the liquid by half.
4. Add the zest and lemon juice and turn the heat to low.
5. In the meantime, start to cook the pasta as per packet instructions. When the pasta is cooked, drain the pasta reserving some of the cooking water. Place the pasta back in the pan and add the sausage meat.
6. Stir the pasta making sure all the lovely flavours coat the pasta and then add the butter, parmesan, chopped parsley and a few spoonful’s of the reserved water. The pasta will look shiny with the sauce; taste for seasoning then serve with a bit more parmesan grated on the top.
7. Pour yourself a glass of chilled wine and enjoy!