Menier Chocolate Easter Log
This cake is extremely light and delicate with a rich chocolate buttercream, as it is so light your guests will want more and more!
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
6 large eggs, separated
150g caster sugar
50g Menier cocoa powder
For the icing & filling
200g Menier milk chocolate, chopped
200g icing sugar
200g unsalted butter, softened
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/350°F/gas mark 4 and line a 23cm x 33cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment, grease with butter and set aside.
2. In a large bowl beat the egg yolks and sugar with an electric whisk until creamy and thick. Sift the cocoa powder and mix thoroughly. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites and fold into the cocoa mixture gradually. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
3. Allow the cake to cool slightly before turning out of the tin, allow to cool for 30 minutes.
4. To make the icing, melt the chocolate over a bowl of simmering water. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. Now add the icing sugar and butter to a food mixer and blend until smooth. Add 2 tbsp of chocolate and mix through.
5. Place half of the icing mixture in a bowl, this will be used as the filling. Add the remaining chocolate to the icing mixture in the food mixer and gently blend until smooth, this is the icing for the cake.
6. For the cake, remove any crusty edges and using a palette knife spread the filling over the whole cake. Now roll the cake starting from one of the long sides making sure the first roll is tight. Once the whole cake is rolled, spread the icing over the whole cake.
7. To decorate, drag a fork through the chocolate icing so it resembles the bark on a log. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set and decorate with Easter decorations.